Job Announcement- Associate Director for Communications at CLF
The Conservation Lands Foundation is looking for a highly motivated individual to help educate the public about the National Conservation Lands. The Associate Director for Communications will work with the CLF team in Durango, CO to advance the National Conservation Lands through message development, trainings and the use of traditional and non-traditional media. Please see the job description below for more information.
Position Title: Associate Director for Communications
Location: Durango, CO
Position Reports to: Policy Director
Closing Date: January 15, 2014
The Conservation Lands Foundation is a national non‐profit organization headquartered in Durango, Colorado with offices in San Francisco, Albuquerque, Reno, Seattle and Washington, DC. The Conservation Lands Foundation was established in 2007 to protect the premier lands and waters under the Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM’s) jurisdiction – specifically the 28 million acres of National Monuments and National Conservation Areas, Wilderness and Wilderness Study Areas, National Scenic and Historic Trails and 2,400 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers that make up our National Conservation Lands.
Our mission is to protect, restore and expand the National Conservation Lands through education, advocacy and partnerships. The Conservation Lands Foundation is the only organization in the country dedicated solely to safeguarding the ecological and cultural integrity of the 28 million acres of National Conservation Lands.
The Associate Director for Communications will work with staff to develop a communications platform for the Conservation Lands Foundation, inform targeted audiences about the National Conservation Lands, conduct communications trainings and engage the public through traditional and non-traditional media.
- Work with key staff to develop and refine CLF’s internal and external message platform for the National Conservation Lands and CLF.
- Develop template communication materials – which may include: fact sheets, opinion articles, letters to the editors, blog posts, press releases, etc. – that articulate consistent and effective messaging about the National Conservation Lands.
- Engage and train advocates to be effective and proficient at utilizing the media to communicate the values of the National Conservation Lands.
- Identify opportunities to partner with recreational, sportsmen and other conservation groups to gain earned media about the National Conservation Lands.
- Assist CLF staff with a variety of media outreach including developing story concepts and responding to time sensitive issues.
- Manage internal communications calls with staff and ensure CLF staff is meeting communications deliverables and strategy efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications or related field.
- 3-5 years experience developing and implementing communications strategies that include advocacy and public relations.
- Commitment to the Conservation Lands Foundation’s mission of public land conservation.
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills, training experience preferred.
- Ability to present materials and conduct communications trainings.
- Experience working with both traditional and new media (including social media).
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who can handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to travel including driving long distances, some weekend or evening responsibilities.
Salary range is $50,000 ‐ $60,000 based on experience with an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance and a 401k plan. The Conservation Lands Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability or status as a U.S. veteran.
This position will be based in Durango, CO.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Associate Director for Communications” to Danielle@conservationlands.org. No phone calls please.