Get outside and volunteer: National Public Lands Day is Sept 24
This year, National Public Lands Day is September 24, 2011. While many supporters of the National Conservation Lands already volunteer throughout the year, this day provides a high profile opportunity to get others involved in conservation stewardship projects. More than 1,900 events are scheduled across the country, including several in the National Conservation Lands.
Among the events scheduled:
- Sonoran Desert National Monument (AZ): help the Friends of the Sonoran Desert National Monument revegetate an area damaged by irresponsible recreation.
- Ironwood Forest National Monument (AZ): help the Friends of Ironwood Forest remove invasive buffelgrass.
- San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area (AZ): help the BLM clean up the San Pedro River.
- Vermilion Cliffs National Monument (AZ): view the release of California condors into the wild.
- Carrizo Plain National Monument (CA): help BLM clean up a spring and install a kiosk.
- Canyons of the Ancients National Monument (CO): help install signage and close unauthorized trails.
- Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area (NV): pick up litter and revegetate a future trailhead.