About the Piedras Blancas Outstanding Natural Area
Stewarded by Piedras Blancas Light Station Association
Piedras Blancas Light Station is located on a rugged windswept point of land six miles north of Hearst Castle, along California’s scenic Highway 1. First illuminated as an aid to navigation in 1875, the lighthouse still casts a beam of light to guide mariners along the rocky California coast. Today the lighthouse beckons the visitor, offering a glimpse into history and a respite from the modern world. On October 12, 2001, Piedras Blancas Light Station was officially transferred from the U.S. Coast Guard to the Bureau of Land Management. A formal transition ceremony was held on May 25, 2002, and, that very night, a new marine rotating beacon was first illuminated.